Sunday, June 19, 2011

Splashing Around Camden

Tuesday 6/14/11

Well, breakfast at our nice inn was really interesting and different from all the other b&b's we have stayed at over the years. There were 11 guests and we were told to be there at 8:30 as there would be only one seating. Our innkeeper, Mary Ann, introduced everyone to each other and sat us at two tables in the dining room. This house is decorated with lovely period furniture and antiques, giving you a real feel for life in an upper crust Camden home. We sat with a couple about our age from "Nawthun Jawjuh" outside Atlanta and an older widow who was an Italian former New Yorker with a winter home in Florida and a summer home in lower Maine. Sounds like the setting for a murder mystery party! We were served an interesting meal of blueberry juice (blueberries are a local commodity here), compotes of fresh berries and organic yogurt, egg/spinach/goat cheese fritatta and fresh organic mixed greens from the local farmer's market with a light vinaigrette.


After our fancy dancy breakfast, we shopped in the cute little downtown which has some really nice and surprisingly affordable shops. We had an early lunch because we were a bit hungry (see above breakfast menu!) and stopped in Mariner's Grill for clam chowder and a lobster roll. Yes, we shared that. We saw our new friends, Kathy and Gene, from breakfast and they gave us some helpful hints on places to see and do in Maine since they have been before.



We drove all through the curvy, hilly streets of this town and were astounded at how many lovely (and expeeeensive!) homes there are here. Every house is immaculately maintained which is quite a chore considering how large they are and how hard the harsh winters must be on them. And more flowers and trees blooming their heads off everywhere you look.






On the outskirts of town, Jeff pulled off so we could walk to the edge of the rocks overlooking the water and I saw some really nice camera bags sitting on the ground. Radar alert! Then I saw several people crawling all over these huge rocks...some were squatting down taking pictures of bugs, barnacles and seaweed (it was low tide), some were perched high on the rocks photographing boats on the water and I got a little excited. They were taking a class I had read about online called Maine Media Workshops. I had looked to see what was available in the area but saw it was a week long course and a bit pricey. The list for suggested camera gear and clothing was two pages long! Maybe someday with the Hot Shots.

We stopped to see the Belted Galloway cows, pretty wildflowers along the country road and displays of lobster trap buoys. I love seeing all the colorful buoys bobbing in the ocean as well as hanging on docks...they represent the beautiful ocean here and a food I love. We drove through Rockport out to Owl's Head Lighthouse. By then it was raining again and pretty chilly, but we walked up to the base and tried to imagined how pretty it would look against a blue sky. We stopped in the Owl's Head General Store. They had a sign boasting of being awarded the "best burger in Maine" but we bought a lobster Christmas ornament instead. Next, we stopped in Rockland which had a number of shops which I'm sure look cuter in better weather, but I managed to find a thing or two there:)




Back in Camden, there was a pretty house high on a hill with an interesting looking room that could be seen through the hug bay window. Turned out to be an exclusive inn with a swanky restaurant called Natalie's. Since it was too early for dinner, we decided to get drinks there so we could experience the atmosphere inside and enjoy the view as well. Yes, it was still raining, but the view was great anyway. The room where we sat was full of books and a telescope was set up in front of the bay window, pointing out to sea. Such a cozy spot on such a dreary afternoon.




We considered trying a different place for dinner, but decided to return to last night's restaurant because I wanted more lobster and they have the best in town. We're such rule breakers, having eaten at the same place twice in The Forks and now in Camden. The Waterfront is a pretty large place and if they didn't seat us in the very same table as last night. Jeff got fried shrimp and I got steamed lobster.


Yep, I out-ordered my angler tonight. 

1 comment:

Carol said...

I LOVE so many of these pictures, I don't even know where to start! Thank you for the flowers, beautiful homes, small town atmosphere, and FOOD photos. You're the best!